▸ REDEFINING MUSIC PRODUCTION
BeatMaker brings unmatched efficiency and depth in an intuitive audio and MIDI workstation.
Look no further, the power of traditional desktop software and real hardware is now united into one single production studio.
▸ PLAY • PERFORM • RECORD
Its streamlined workflow lets you perform and shape your ideas quickly and effectively, turning your instruments into full productions. Inspirational performance tools such as repeat, roll, swing, key scales & chords and macro controls will boost your creativity tenfold.
Take control of it all with your MIDI gear and the new smart binding system.
▸ CRAFT YOUR OWN INSTRUMENTS
128 banks of 128 pads, where each one of them is a full-fledged instrument with multiple dimensions.
Record and chop live, assemble, mangle and resample: our state of the art sampling engine will sculpt your ideas, giving life to your instruments with a full modulation and layering system.
With ZPlane’s Elastique live stretch and pitch shift, adjust your loops and instruments to match the tempo or go experimental.
You can even integrate your favorite synth & effect apps with full AUv3 and IAA support.
▸ PRECISE SEQUENCING
The classic timeline based pattern & song editor gives all the modern sequencing features you‘d want to arrange complete tracks.
Adding to this foundation, the new flexible Scene Mode opens up opportunities for remixing and live performances, looping and arranging clips in new ways.
All the patterns, automations and sequencing tools are available right where you would expect.
Add audio tracks to the mix, stretch them, turn your arrangements into a complete masterpiece.
You can even play in sync with other software using Ableton Link.
▸ INSPIRATIONAL LIBRARY
The ever growing sound store will bring premium and exclusive content to your own library. The genius of our sound designers will enhance your productions instantly, whether you’re looking for a classic 808 bass or exploring new musical genres.
▸ FULL FLEDGED MIXER
Multi-channel recording & input/output routing is now a reality with the support of USB audio interfaces. Fine-tune your mix with the modern mixing board: every track, every pad has its own channel with unlimited effects and up to 8 sends.
Add new depths to your sound with our palette of effects (internal or external AUv3/IAA).
▸ EXPORT AND SHARE
Export your compositions and separated elements into single stems to share, re-use, re-work, re-master within a traditional studio setup
Read the full specs on http://intua.net !
- Works with 32-bits and 64-bits iPads.
- Native iPad Pro support
- iOS 9.3+ required
- Best experience on newer models
- iPhone version coming soon
- Full documentation and tutorials available at http://support.intua.net
by KORG INC.
The ultimate mobile instruments collection on your iPad, iPad Pro and iPhone. KORG Gadget - the all-in-one music production studio.
KORG Gadget has received numerous awards from around the world:
• Apple: "App Store Best of 2014" in Japan
• #1 in the Top Paid Music iPad App category*
• TECH AWARD 2015 "Best Music Production App"
• MusicTech's "Gear of the Year: Best App" Gold Award
• “Musikmesse international press award 2016” Mobile Music App
* USA, UK, Japan, Germany, France, Italy and much more!
KORG Gadget offers a collection of more than 30* different synthesizers and drum machines called “Gadgets.” These gadgets were designed to assist the user to produce powerful electronic music. The latest version features universal support not only for the iPad, but also for the iPad Pro and the iPhone. The painstaking attention that KORG has given its hardware instruments for more than fifty years has now taken shape as cutting-edge software in the Gadget. It's the ultimate all-in-one music production studio app.
* The total number of gadgets including in-app purchases etc.
• A collection of more than 30 Gadgets
Each Gadget available contains carefully constructed parameters to bring you the sounds you want. They’re ideal for producing all forms of electronic music. Even inexperienced musicians can enjoy the app as each synth offers a Scale function that makes it virtually impossible to play the wrong notes.
• Design tracks in portrait or landscape. Workflow for any music production task
The greatest feature of KORG Gadget is the user interface. It gives you an ideal music production workflow based mainly on the portrait orientation that you're familiar with. When you want to focus on specifics, you can smoothly switch to landscape orientation. This app perfectly supports either preference on the iPad, iPhone, or iPad Pro. From song production to sound design, effects, and mixing, all the steps are intuitive and seamless. Experience perfect music production on mobile!
• Produce music more freely without location limitations. An ideal choice as a second DAW
If you run out of ideas while producing a song, try taking KORG Gadget somewhere that you find inspirational. Gadget liberates you from limitations of location, allowing you to create and capture song ideas anywhere. These ideas can be saved as MIDI or as audio to allow a smooth transition to your desktop system. Wherever you go, take Gadget along as the ideal partner for inspiration.
• Share songs to the GadgetCloud to connect with users around the world
Songs that you create using KORG Gadget can be shared on “GadgetCloud,” a music exchange for Gadget users worldwide. By uploading and sharing songs, you can communicate in ways that bypass language barriers, and also improve your skill as a creative artist. On GadgetCloud, you can submit your songs for selection as tracks recommended by Korg, enter various contents, and use the ranking system. You can also upload from Gadget directly to any social networking service such as SoundCloud, Facebook, or Twitter, to name a few.
* GadgetCloud is based on SoundCloud, the cloud service that's supported by creative artists world-wide.
• Make it come alive with new MIDI controllers. Accelerate the pace of your music production
To customize your needs, you can freely choose a MIDI controller that complements the KORG Gadget. With the nanoKEY Studio/nanoKONTROL Studio, you can step-record and mix wirelessly as setup is automatic, making this easy and convenient. You can also opt to choose the microKEY Air, a compact mini-keyboard that can also connect wirelessly and via the Apple Lightning adapter. By partnering with a MIDI controller that inspires you, you can improve the quality of your music production.
More info at korg.com
by Bram Bos
>> This app requires iPad 4, iPad Mini2, iPhone 5S or higher! <<
Ripplemaker: a West Coast Flavored Modular Synth
The freedom and versatility of a modular synth in a stylish mobile package.
In typical West Coast fashion the available modules, such as complex oscillator, lowpass gate, FM, mathematical utilities and slope generator, are designed for exploration and experimentation. The virtual patch cables will let you take your sound wherever you want to take it, from morphing basslines to evolving generative drones.
A modular playground
Even if you’re not familiar with modulars, wavefolders or control voltage you can dive right in, because all modules are prewired; offering a powerful monosynth without using a single cable. Then whip out the virtual cables and start patching. Ripplemaker is designed for fun - big enough to lose yourself into, yet intuitive enough to not get lost.
Standalone sequencer goodness
Sometimes you want to get away from your DAW and just play. That’s why Ripplemaker, beside being an AU plugin, also comes with a standalone sequencer app that helps you get creative. It has a random pattern generator with scale locks, a realtime probability-based mutation engine and it syncs with your other apps and hardware via Ableton Link or MIDI Clock.
Download the user manual on www.ruismaker.com
Connectivity beyond cables: obviously in a modular synth it’s all about cables. But Ripplemaker takes connectivity to the another level:
- AUv3 (Audio Unit Plugin) Extension for use in iOS DAWs
- Universal design (works on iPad 4+, iPhone 5S+, iPod Touch 6G+)
- CoreMIDI, Virtual MIDI, Bluetooth MIDI,
- Audiobus 3, including AB3 MIDI IN+OUT and State Saving
- Ableton Link
- MIDI Clock Sync
- WAV export, MIDI file export, AU preset export
- Ready for iOS11 Files access
by Bram Bos
>> Troublemaker requires iPad 4/Mini 2/iPhone 5S/iPod Touch 6 or higher <<
Featured in the US Appstore! Here's what the reviews say:
"Perfect for on the move acid sessions, the Trouble Maker app faithfully recreates the sound of the original TB-303" - DJ Mag
"Troublemaker is absolutely no trouble at all to heartily recommend" - SoundOnSound
"If you want to make the bassline from Josh Wink’s ‘Higher State of Consciousness’ on the bus, this is the app for the job" - Factmag.com
"Top-notch stuff from a developer that just keeps getting better" - Musicappblog.com
"This app has been consuming all of my time this week! Love it!" - Discchord.com
Introducing Troublemaker: this is not a 303
The legendary TB-303 has magical properties; it is filled to the brim with analog shimmer. Its output jack is a gateway to a parallel universe and when you twiddle the filter knobs an army of highly trained pixies chisel the square waves from freshly harvested unicorn souls. So if you want a TB-303, you should buy a TB-303. But if you're after *that sound* Troublemaker will give you everything you need in spades.
Troublemaker sports a carefully crafted diode filter emulation and among the available oscillators are the typical raspy, nasal sawtooth and rubbery squarewave with its oddball shape and shifting pulsewidth.
It also has the wow.
Troublemaker is fully Audio Unit (AUv3) compatible, so you can go wild running multiple instances in your favorite DAWs.
It also has:
- Ableton Link synchronization,
- MIDI CC controllers for all knobs (predefined),
- Core Midi, Virtual Midi, Bluetooth Midi input,
- MIDI Clock Sync, MIDI Start / Stop support
- Realtime Mutation Probability Engine
- Standalone sequencer supports 1-64 steps
- Audiobus 3 support (audio + MIDI)
- Exports MID and WAV files from the standalone sequencer
- User manual and MIDI charts on ruismaker.com
And unlike the TB-303, it can actually sound like a bass guitar 😉
by Bitmask Studio Ltd.
Scythe iOS app has a powerful synthesis engine and makes it easy to create and discover sound designed for iPad.
Now with CoreMIDI and Audiobus Midi input and Inter-App-Audio, Scythe iOS app can be integrated into your studio or workflow.
The controls have been minimized to allow a simple workflow with the same complex modulation that you might be used to. If you are new to modulation, Scythe app for iOS makes it simple with drag and drop, from source to oscillator control.
Scythe synthesizer iOS app comes with presets and library wavetables for quickly hearing some of its possibilities.
Audio Share allows importing and exporting audio with Scythe synthesis iOS app easily.
Generate custom wavetables by importing your sounds using Audio Share or iTunes file sharing, record using IAA out or directly in Scythe synthesizer app and export using Audio share or iOS sharing options.
Please note for best wavetable generation results, sounds with low frequency content or enough spectral content is required.
Top Features of Scythe iOS app:
- High quality wavetable synthesis
- Modulation control of all oscillator parameters
- Easy to learn user interface
- MIDI input - CoreMIDI & Audiobus 3
- Audio Share support for importing and exporting
- Global tempo control for syncing LFOs to note duration
- Easily record, playback and export audio
- Library wavetables and presets
- Max waves = 128 = 8 voices * 2 oscillators * 8 unison
Full feature set:
- 2 Wavetable oscillators with full modulation control
- Generate wavetables with audio files imported with Audio Share
- Generate wavetables with audio files loaded from iTunes file sharing
- Load library wavetables
- Save wavetables
- Unison of up to 8 waves per oscillator
- Global tempo control in top bar
- 2 Envelope generators with controllable ADSR graph
- 3 LFOs with 8 wave modes, Note duration sync, lfo wave amplitude, 3 run modes
- Global modulation matrix control
- Modulation override
- Audiobus 3 MIDI
- Currently max voices is 8
- Scrollable keyboard
- Hold mode
- Library presets
- Save your own presets
- Record audio
- Export audio using Audio Share
- export audio using iOS export options, e.g. Dropbox
- Hardware capabilities will impact max number of waves. If your device CPU cannot synthesize the max number of waves, either adjust the unison value/modulation or reduce the number of simultaneous keys pressed
- Modulation is initially enabled by dragging the modulation link icons onto the control to be modulated.
- Hold mode is enabled/disabled by pressing the control in the keyboard scroll section
Follow Scythe app on social profiles:
Zeeon is a virtual analog synthesizer, powered by an advanced analog circuit modelling engine. We spent a lot of time analysing iconic analog synths, both vintage and modern, to find out which parts of the circuit contribute most to their specific character. We used this knowledge to create a unique synth, with focus on what’s most important - the pure, organic and detailed sound. Many analog synth emulations sound dull. Not Zeeon. We take care of the entire spectrum range from deep lows to sweet highs. All audio and modulation signals are processed at 176 KHz (4x oversampling).
Full manual and audio demos available at the BeepStreet website.
• Audio Unit v3 and standalone application with a simple polyphonic step sequencer
• 2 oscillators with continuously variable waveforms, hard-sync and sub-oscillator. Carefully simulated analog drift and PSU influence.
• Filter: 3 models available: Transistor ladder low pass, OTA cascade low pass and State Variable Filter with continuously variable LP-HP + BP mode.
• 2 low frequency oscillators and envelope generators per voice.
• Overdrive: diode clipper, transistor saturation, wave folder, pre and post filter.
• Up to 2 layers per voice. Layers can modulate each other.
• Powerful modulation matrix offering self-modulation and cross-layer modulation, 8 modulation slots, 17 signal sources and 41 targets available, both from modulation modules and audio signal path. This takes Zeeon into semi-modular territory. Imagine oscillator waveform, panning, filter cutoff, resonance or LP-HP mode modulated by oscillators or another layer!
• Effects unit: Circuit modelled BBD chorus, bass booster, zero-delay Phaser, Stereo delay and Reverb.
• 144 presets and Tutorials bank.
More presets and exciting features in upcoming updates.
by Audio Damage, Inc.
A long-time studio standard, now finally available for iOS! This is a direct 1:1 port of Audio Damage's Eos 2 desktop plug-in, identical in every way to the Eos you know and love. This download includes an AUv3 App Extension for use in AUv3-savvy hosts like AUM, AudioBus, GarageBand, Cubasis, and Auria Pro. Also included is a stand-alone application with Inter-App Audio.
Eos 2 consists of four high-quality custom-designed reverb algorithms, made with the modern production environment in mind. Three different plate simulators and our own Superhall algorithm give you a broad palette of reverb, and the easy-to-understand interface makes adjusting the algorithms to suit your track incredibly simple.
Want a traditional dark plate reverb? Eos 2 can do that. How about a short, dense room sound for your drum buss? Not a problem. But where Eos 2 really comes in to its own is when you drop Superhall on your piano or synthesizer tracks. The incredibly long modulated hall sounds of Eno-style ambience are where Eos 2 thrives, something that is not possible with convolution 'verbs.
> Four reverb algorithms designed for Audio Damage by ValhallaDSP, including three separate plate algorithms and our own unique SuperHall, a rich, densely modulated, extra-long hall algorithm designed for ambient and synthesizer music.
> Full control over the reverb early reflections and tail, with modulation and equalization control, to sculpt the density and tonal characteristics to your needs.
> All presets from the desktop version included, and you can even share presets among all versions of Eos 2 using the copy/paste mechanism.
> AUv3 and IAA standard.
> Note that Eos 2 is a dense, heavily modulated algorithmic reverb, and as such may be somewhat heavy on the CPU, especially on older devices. For best results, use a single instance as a send.
by Audio Damage, Inc.
The original dub delay effect, Dubstation has been a go-to effect in the production toolbox for over a decade and a half with good reason. Now available on iOS, this 1:1 code-identical port of the desktop version of Dubstation brings this classic effect to the mobile production studio.
Easy to use and understand, Dubstation works just like a hardware delay pedal. True stereo operation and a nice saturated feedback path provide an instant-classic delay effect that has been used in thousands of commercial tracks.
>> Tempo-synchronized or millisecond timing.
>> True stereo dual time mode, single time mode, or ping-pong.
>> EQ and saturation control on the feedback path, for tonal control.
>> LFO to delay time, for chorus and tape effects.
>> Tempo-synced stereo looping ("infinite mode") with sound-on-sound and reverse.
>> Heavily optimized for extremely low CPU usage. Use as many as you want, even on an older device.
>> Factory and user presets that can be copied to and from the desktop version.
>> Audio samples and manual available at the Audio Damage website.
by mobile only
zMors modular is a modular synthesizer. You can add
various modules to your patch and connect them with
cables. You can use hardware gear with up to 8 usb input/outputs
for audio, triggers and/or control voltage.
- 64 bit support
- input/output up to 8 audio/cv to your modular synth via USB Audio
- 32bit float audio engine with up to 16x oversampling
- AUv3 host module
- Midi input/output
- Ableton Link support
- offset attenuator in each cable
- InterAppAudio host and node up to 96K
- very low Storage usage
- skinning with custom background images
3 OSC, MultimodeFilter, WaveTable, 2 ADSR, Slew, VCA, DSP, Sample&Hold,
Combiner, Oscilloscope, Chords, Clock Divider, Matrix Mixer, Motion Controller,
CV Sequencer, Step Sequencer, Midi Filter, Midi Keyboard,Midi Sequencer, XYPad, Delay, Reverb,
Inter App Audio Host, Sample Player, Euclidean Sequencer, Pure Data Player,
Tape/LoFi Effect, Mixer Console, Macro for complex setups,Quantizer, EQ, AudioUnit
by Bit Shape
TC-11 is the only fully programmable multi-touch synthesizer for the iPad. Choose from the 160 included presets, or build your own using touch controls, device motion, and on-board modules. Create music with the next evolution of synthesizer control!
iDesignSound App of the Week 12.17.2011
"This thing is ALIVE! TC-11 is really fascinating and I'm having some fun experimenting with it. It is very, very cool!"
- Jordan Rudess, keyboardist, Dream Theater
"TC-11 is making my jaw drop every few minutes; realizing new and increasingly complex routing options. Rating: Essential."
- Tim Webb, discchord.com
"Creating, routing, configuring, and general tweaking is unbelievably robust and complex. This is a big leap forward in design. A madhouse of sonic possibilities at your touch."
- David Israel, smitematter.com
√ 185 built-in presets
√ Unlimited user patches
√ Audiobus + State Saving
√ Fully controlled by multi-touch / device motion
√ Built-in recording + AudioCopy
√ 23 modular synthesis objects
√ 22 oscillator waveforms
√ 4 controller modules: AHDSR, LFO, Table, Sequencer
√ Email custom patches to your friends
√ Full display customization
There are no on-screen knobs, keys, or sliders to fiddle with; all synthesis is driven by your multi-touch performance. Touch relationships like distances / angles / timings perform all the controller functions. It's just you and the full screen multi-touch performance area.
EVERY synthesis parameter can be controlled by ANY multi-touch controller. The patch possibilities are limitless!
DEVICE MOTION CONTROL:
Use the iPad's accelerometer, gyroscope, and even the compass to attack your synthesis patch! Tilt and move the iPad to change any filter, effect, or module. You can create real vibrato by moving the iPad during performance, or change the speed of a sequencer by tilting forward and backward!
TC-11 has 8 voice polyphony for full, real-time synthesis. The audio engine has been highly optimized to deliver crisp, responsive performance. Choose from 22 oscillator waveforms, 3 oscillator types, 3 filter types, 4 unique effects, amplitude modulation, and panning control.
Fully programmable AHDSR, LFO, and sequencer modules make TC-11 the most capable iOS synthesizer in the world.
Use TC-11 in your band during live performances. Add TC-11 into your laptop orchestra. Experiment and create with the next evolution of synthesizer control!
Download the complete user guide to read more:
Auria Pro - Music Production
by WaveMachine Labs, Inc.
Auria Pro - Music Production
Auria Pro - Mobile Music Production. Redefined.
"This is the first mobile mixing (AND recording AND post production) app that I've ever used that is truly professional. Just Wow !" - David Kahne (Grammy winning producer/engineer for Paul McCartney, Tony Bennett, Stevie Nicks, Sublime, The Bangles, Ingrid Michaelson, Regina Spektor)
•TEC Awards 2012 Nominee•
•Computer Music Innovation Award•
•Computer Music Performance Award•
•Sound on Sound 2013 Awards Nominee•
•Electronic Musician Editor's Choice Award•
Introducing Auria Pro. The first Digital Audio Workstation designed from the ground up for iPad. With professional-level features like comprehensive MIDI support, built-in sampler player and analog synths, real-time audio warping, optional third-party plug-in support from names like FabFilter, PSP, Overloud and Drumagog, AAF import/export, and powerful busing, Auria Pro clearly sets a new standard for mobile music production.
"Prepare to be amazed." – Computer Music Magazine
“...I was immediately convinced that this is the hottest musical app to make it to the iPad so far...” – Recording Magazine
• Unlimited audio and MIDI tracks
• Lyra multi-format sample player with a free downloadable 4GB sample library. Lyra is a true disk streaming sampler, capable of playing multi-GB sample instruments. Supports SFZ, EXS and SF2
• FabFilter Twin2 and One analog synthesizers included
• Up to 24 tracks of simultaneous recording when used with compatible audio interfaces (Lightning to USB Camera adapter required)
• Real-time audio warping using élastique Pro v3, allows audio tracks to be stretched in real time.
• Powerful audio busing system allows flexible routing of audio between tracks, subgroups and Auxes.
• Piano roll editor
• Tempo and Time-signature Tracks
• Real-time MIDI parameters allow immediate control over MIDI tracks
• Comprehensive MIDI processing functions
• Groove quantizing, includes a free set of DNA grooves from Numerical Sound (additional grooves available for purchase).
• User groove extraction from MIDI and audio tracks
• Audio quantizing
• Audio transient to MIDI conversion
• Transient slicing
• Project templates
• Support for external iOS-compatible Hard Drives for project backup
• 24-bit recording
• Vintage-inspired ChannelStrip and MasterStrip on every channel by PSPAudioware includes expander, multiband EQ and compressor
• 64 bit double-precision floating point mixing engine
• Third party plug-in support via in-app purchase
• MIDI Sync support with MTC Chase, MIDI Clock and MMC
• MIDI Remote Control (Mackie MCU and HUI protocol)
• Supports sample rates of 44.1KHz, 48KHz and 96KHz
• AAF import and export allows transferring complete sessions between popular DAWs like Logic, Pro Tools, Nuendo, Samplitude and others
• StereoDelay, StereoChorus, ClassicVerb and Convolution Reverb plugins included
• 8 Assignable subgroups and 6 aux sends
• Time Stretching using ZTX technology and élastique Pro v3
• Real-time audio scrubbing
• Flexible snapping tools allow snapping to events, cursor, bars, beats and more
• AudioUnit (AUx) and Inter-app audio (IAA) plugin supprt
• DropBox, Audiobus, SoundCloud and Audio Copy/Paste support
• Track freeze for minimizing CPU usage
• Full automation support
• True 100mm faders when used in Portrait Mode
• Adjustable pan law
• Auto-punch mode
• Full delay compensation on all tracks, subgroups, busses and aux sends
• Adjustable metering modes, including pre or post fader, RMS and peak
• Sample accurate looping
• Automatic sample rate conversion
iPad 4 or later
iOS 7.0 or later
USB audio interfaces require Apple Lightning to USB Camera adapter
Pro Tools is a trademark of Avid, Inc.
Logic is a trademark of Apple, Inc.
Nuendo and is a trademark of Steinberg, GmBH
Samplitude is a trademark of MAGIX.
AudioCopy and AudioPaste are trademarks of Sonoma Wire Works.
Mackie is a trademark of LOUD Technologies, Inc.
Audio Slice Machine
Slice your audio samples with ReSlice and create flexible musical atoms which can be triggered by MIDI notes or the touch of your fingers.
The polyrhythm Arpeggiator redefines the art of creating new loops from the extracted slices.
Record live or import audio from clipboard or AudioShare to break it up into its rhythmic components.
Apply the intelligent slice parameter and Arpeggio randomizer for instant creation of the unheard.
“Always creative - always cutting edge.
The team at VirSyn has a steady stream of cool apps that they release. They are always pushing iOS music creation possibilities to new and interesting territory!
It's a really fun to be able to quickly slice up sound and shift the slices around like this. I love the randomization features as well. With the touch of the dice one can create really surprising and interesting sonic experiences. Jordan Rudess Wizdom Music/Dream Theater”
• Automatic break up of sample/drum loop into up to 32 slices
• Edit slice positions.
• Edit level, pan, pitch and envelope for each slice
• Play slices on screen or via MIDI
• Three choke groups available to cut sample play
• Import audio from clipboard or AudioShare
• Record audio for instant slicing and reusing in realtime
• Seven studio standard effects concurrently usable:
• Oversampled distortion with four different algorithms for antialiased sound.
• Lowpass / Highpass / Bandpass parametric equalizer
• 8 pole analog Phaser
• Four line chorus
• Stereo/Ping-Pong delay with glitch free delay time change.
• Hi end reverberation unit.
Four part Polyrhythm Arpeggiator
• Uses programmable sequences with up to 32 steps.
• Trigger slices using 4 arpeggio parts with different settings
• Unique randomizer generates Arpeggios with 100% usability.
• Factory arpeggios included, unlimited user arpeggios possible.
• AUv3 AudioUnit
• Inter App Audio
• Audiobus 3 support with state saving.
• Play slices live with the onscreen keyboard.
• Can use CoreMIDI compatible MIDI Keyboard.
• Audio recorder with share function.
• Share user presets.
• Support for virtual MIDI input connections.
• Multichannel MIDI Learn for external MIDI controllers.
• MIDI Tempo sync. Start/Stop Arpeggio.
• Ableton Link compatible.
Official EMS VCS3 emulator
The VCS3 was created in 1969 by Peter Zinovieff's EMS company. The electronics were largely designed by David Cockerell and the machine's distinctive visual appearance was the work of electronic composer Tristram Cary. The VCS3 was more or less the first portable commercially available synthesizer—portable in the sense that the VCS 3 was housed entirely in a small, wooden case.
The VCS3 was quite popular among progressive rock bands and was used on recordings by The Alan Parsons Project, Jean Michel Jarre, Hawkwind, Brian Eno (with Roxy Music), King Crimson, The Who, Gong, and Pink Floyd, among many others. Well-known examples of its use are on The Who track "Won't Get Fooled Again" (as an external sound processor, in this case with Pete Townshend running the signal of a Lowrey Organ through the VCS3's filter and low frequency oscillators) on Who's Next. Pink Floyd's "On the Run" (from The Dark Side of the Moon) made use of its oscillators, filter and noise generator, as well as the sequencer. Their song Welcome to the Machine also used the VCS3. The bassy throb at the beginning of the recording formed the foundation of the song, with the other parts being recorded in response. The VCS3 was also a staple at the BBC’s Radiophonic Workshop, and was a regular (and most frightening) sound generator for the Dr Who TV series. Many fo the monsters and atmoshere;s created for the show came directly from the VCS3.
The VCS3 has three oscillators (in reality, the first 2 oscillators are normal oscillators and the 3rd an LFO or Low Frequency Oscillator), a noise generator, two input amplifiers, a ring modulator, a 18dB/octave (pre-1974) or 24dB/octave (after 1974) voltage controlled low pass filter (VCF), a trapezoid envelope generator, joy-stick controller, voltage controlled spring reverb unit and 2 stereo output amplifiers. Unlike most modular synthesizer systems which use cables to link components together, the VCS3 uses a distinctive patch board matrix into which pins are inserted in order to connect its components together.
DK1 keyboard controller
Although the VCS3 is often used for generating sound effects due to lack of built-in keyboard, there were external keyboard controllers for melodic play. The DK1 in 1969 was an early velocity sensitive monophonic keyboard for VCS3 with an extra VCO and VCA. Later it was extended for duophonic play, as DK2, in 1972. Also in 1972, Synthi AKS was released, and its digital sequencer with a touch-sensitive flat keyboard, KS sequencer, and its mechanical keyboard version, DKS, were also released.
The world's first multi-playhead music sequencer.
"How Bach would have made a sequencer." (Create Digital Music)
"A musical feat." (Creator's Project)
"A new approach to sequencing." (XLR8R)
"Next generation music sequencer." (Ask Audio)
"A brilliant concept that has been beautifully realized." (Music App Blog)
"It’s good. So good." (iOS Mars)
BACH IN A BOX.
FUGUE MACHINE is a tool inspired by composition techniques used in Baroque music and Serialism — e.g. Bach’s canons and fugues, and Schoenberg’s twelve-tone technique. The idea was to design a tool to manipulate a melody’s speed, direction, and pitch, as well as play multiple variations of the melody simultaneously.
As it turned out, the best implementation for this was to reimagine one of the most fundamental building blocks of all music sequencers: the piano roll.
THE PIANO ROLL, REIMAGINED.
FUGUE MACHINE is the world’s first multi-playhead piano roll. Create a musical sequence and play it back with up to four playheads at once — each at various speeds, directions, and pitches. You see the playheads dance over the music sequence, and hear the complex patterns that emerge.
/ Supports Ableton Link, MIDI, AudioBus, Audiobus 3 MIDI, and Inter-App Audio.
by Christian Schoenebeck d/b/a Crudebyte
The ultimate orchestra sound app for sophisticated musicians by award-winning sound designer Kurt Ader, designed as professional sound module for your iPad, iPhone or iPod touch by connecting an external MIDI keyboard, using the Apple USB camera adapter or another adapter supported by Apple.¹
Listen to the demo videos on our product website!
This app supports Audio Unit, Inter-App Audio and Audiobus for audio & MIDI connections from/to other audio apps, as well as Bluetooth LE MIDI !
iSymphonic Orchestra was designed with the goal to deliver you superb, extremely realistic and stunning orchestra sounds, instantly with the first key being pressed by you on your MIDI keyboard. Just select a sound and you are ready for your live performance or for a boost of creativity while composing new songs. The sounds used in this app were explicitly recorded to fulfill these requirements and involved several months of recording and post processing under supervision of Kurt Ader and included a variety of innovative, new recording techniques. So far these sounds were only available to very few, famous movie composers. Now they are finally available for the first time to everybody. The supreme quality of these sounds, combined with the unique way they were recorded and assembled, gives us confidence that you haven't heard anything comparable as of to date, even not on Mac or PC.
25 Sounds included with base App:
• Orchestra Strings Spiccato & Legato 1 - 4
• Orchestra Strings Slow 1 - 3
• Chamber Arco Strings
• Legato Orchestra Strings 1
• Full Sordino Strings 1 - 2
• Legato Orchestra
• Staccato Orchestra 1 - 3
• Tremolo Orchestra
• Pizzicato Strings
• Full Strings
• Tremolo Strings
• All Brass 1 - 2
• Trombone Section
• Cello & Woodwinds
• Horns & Strings
• Full Legato Orchestra
297 additional sounds available as 15 optional in-app purchase sound sets: „Pro-", „Arpa-", „Canto-", „Boato-", „Vento-", „Ottone-", „Voce-", „Varia-", „Perla-", „Aulos-", „Keys-", „Cupra-", „Organ-", „Tosca-" and „Corda Sound Set". You find a detailed sound list & demo videos on our product website.
• Low latency disk streaming.
• Very efficient audio engine.
• Polyphony of several hundred stereo voices.²
• Audio latency down to 1 ms.
• Integrated effects with 18 presets.
• 16 parts.
• Scale Tuning & Master Tune.
• MIDI velocity response curve editor.
• App States: Save app's entire state as user presets.
• Interactive, easy & quick sound finder.
• App can keep running in the background, so you can play on your keyboard while e.g. using Safari or another app to display scores or surfing the Internet.
• Hermode Tuning: Imitates the tuning behavior of well educated musicians of i.e. orchestras and choirs.
• Audio Unit v3 Plugin included.
• Supports Apple's "Inter-App Audio" (IAA) system.
• Audiobus support.
• Virtual on-screen piano keyboard with velocity support, scalable & scrollable.
MIDI Player / Recorder:
• Record, save and load your songs in standard MIDI file format.
• Share your songs easily as audio file.
• Unlimited amount of tracks.
• Configurable MIDI channel per track.
• Unlimited recording and playback length.
• Open MIDI (.mid) files directly from other apps (i.e. from Safari, Mail).
• Use the "Tempo Zoom" dial knob to i.e. slow down playback at any time and learn your favorite songs easily.
¹ For more information about supported adapters and MIDI keyboards, please visit our product website.
² Sounds are using several voices per note. Polyphony depends on the exact device model being used. You find a polyphony table on our product website.