Update: ThumbJam v2.0 Released – Adds CoreMIDI Support & Much More!
19 November 2011:
Sonosaurus have released version 2.0 of ThumbJam. This is a major update with many new features, including full CoreMidi support, new import and export options, custom scales, mic input control, and much more.
MIDI Support Updates:
- Supports CoreMidi via wifi and wired with the iPad camera connection kit and USB midi interfaces (in/out).
- Line6 MidiMobilizer support for midi in/out
- Akai SynthStation support for in/out.
- There is midi input support for all of the above so you can play the ThumbJam instruments with external controllers.
- Virtual midi port support for communicating directly between apps running on the same device. You can use other controller apps to play TJ running in the background, or use TJ as a controller to play other synths. Full poly bends and note tie support for smooth continuous bending with compatible controller apps.
- Cool new feature for midi input, Scale Lock. When enabled all note input is mapped to the currently selected scale. For instance, if you play up the keyboard on adjacent white keys you get the next note of the selected scale for each white key pressed. It’s surprisingly playable, like the ThumbJam equivalent for keyboard controllers.
- The mod wheel controls parameters selected as an x-axis control or v.tilt volume, using whatever ranges are configured in the patch.
- Recorded audio loops now save a corresponding midi file alongside for later import into sequencers, etc.
- Support for instruments based on stereo samples
- Several new synth instruments built-in
- More on the way via free in-app download
- New options for mixing down the current active audible loops to a single WAV file.
- A similar feature in the loop mixer to let you bounce the active loops down into a new loop, while muting the originals.
- Make your own custom scales in the app.
- Quick-change scale/key user preset buttons now available.
- Split screen now supports different scales on each side, as well as key.
- New set of Indian scales to more accurately represent common usage.
- Reverb now has separate sends for each loop.
- Resonant low-pass filter now available, with X-axis or tilt controls for cutoff and resonance.
- SoundCloud audio sharing support added. Easy sharing of loop mix-down, session or arbitrary audio file to SoundCloud, with integrated optional posting to Facebook, Twitter, and Tumblr (via soundcloud mechanism).
- The Copy/Paste (now Export/Import) page lets you choose to mixdown the current active loops and copy that to the clipboard, or do the usual browse thing.
- Added option for Paste, to immediately make a pasted loop the actively playing loop.
- ThumbJam can now import Instruments, LoopSets (in ZIP files) and audio files from Mail attachments, Safari web browsing, or other apps that handle documents.
- iTunes Document Sharing support for direct import or export from your computer.
- New visual look.
- Ability to load two instruments simultaneously for quick switching, or play using split screen.
- New additional sidebar for access to more controls quickly
- New mic input control mode, play the ThumbJam instruments by singing, humming or from playing anything that produces pitch into the mic! Very responsive pitch tracking, a really fun alternative input method. MIDI output from it is also produced, so you can use it as a realtime audio to MIDI setup.
- Bluetooth audio output now works when available.
- Improved tuner during sample recording and instrument creation.
- Sustain bar available to make it easier to sustain notes
- Pitch sidebar can more precisely set the note range on screen, not restricted to octave boundaries.
ThumbJam is a powerful musical performance experience for the iPad, iPhone & iPod Touch. You get over 30 high-quality real instruments multi-sampled exclusively for this app. Hundreds of included scales allow you to effortlessly play in any style from rock to classical, whether you are a musical novice or a seasoned professional.
Even if you’ve only played air guitar, ThumbJam lets you sound like a pro. Pick an instrument and jam – with all the scales to choose from you’ll never hit a wrong note. The high quality instrument samples will make you sound like you just skipped years of music lessons.
For the performing musician, this app is awesome for soloing on an instrument you didn’t bring along. Play in any key, any style – go from a string ensemble to a wailing guitar. ThumbJam was developed and tested by musicians to feel and sound like a real instrument.
ThumbJam makes use of tilt and shake to add vibrato, tremolo, note bends, and volume swells for more realistic and expressive results. It supports up to five simultaneous touches and up to 16 voice polyphony. Delay and lush stereo reverb add depth to the sound. Put on your headphones or plug in to your home stereo and prepare to be blown away.
For more information about ThumbJam click here.
You Might Also Like...