Okay, so you’re a new Maschine user waiting for your new Mk3 to arrive. Or, maybe you’re an experienced user who never really tapped into all the sampling options available to you in Maschine. Well, today is your lucky day! In this article we’ll explore different sample sources you can use to get audio into Maschine.
Mobile phones, hardware synths, or field recorders
If you’re planning on purchasing NI’s soon to be released Maschine Mk3 hardware, you’ll be able to plug any ¼” cable into the new studio grade audio interface. This is a 96 kHz, 24-bit audio interface with 2 x ¼” TRS line inputs and a ¼” mic input for use with a dynamic microphone.
Being able to sample directly into the Mk3 hardware should be the easiest and fastest way to get external audio into Maschine and onto a pad for further editing.
Youtube, Vimeo (and virtually anything that plays audio from the internet)
Windows users, the word for today is Voicemeeter.
Voicemeeter is a virtual audio mixer and virtual audio interface offered as donationware from software developers, VB-Audio. It’s available for Windows XP, Vista, 7/8/8.1/10 in 32/64 bits and is similar to a program for Mac users called Loopback, which I think used to be called Soundflower. In a nutshell, this program allows you to bring audio into Maschine from any source that plays through it including other audio applications on your computer. It does require some configuration, but nothing too difficult. Once installed and configured:
– Go to your audio properties and select Voicemeeter as your main audio device
– Make sure Voicemeeter ASIO is selected in Maschine’s audio preferences
– Go to Maschine’s Sampler page and get to sampling!That’s it!
Keep in mind that this covers you for any and all audio that plays from any website as well as audio playing from other applications on your computer. Have fun with that!
And for Mac users there’s another cool app that allows you sampling other apps like Spotify, iTunes, Safari (soundcloud, youtube etc). The app is called Audio Hijack Pro. It’s been around for many years and recently they’ve release an update with clean modern UI:
A few months back, the good people at Loopmasters released a free application they named, Loopcloud. You’re probably saying to yourself, “not another cloud-based sample storage platform”. Yes, but this is one of the best free options available to my knowledge at least.
It runs as a standalone application for Windows and Mac in both 32/64 bit format, comes with 1GB of free sample content and you get 150mb of new free samples every week. But, it really shines when you use it as a plug-in inside your DAW of choice. The Loopcloud plug-in syncs to your host tempo so you can audition samples that will already be in sync with your song. What’s even cooler than that is you can drag n drop samples from Loopcloud directly into your session and keep it moving.
You can search for samples by instrument, genre, label, file format, content type, key and bpm. My only gripe is that you can’t add samples from your hard drive, but Loopmasters have stated that this will come in a future update.
Certainly everybody in the audio community knows about Splice by now. For those that don’t, Splice is one of the more popular online platforms for audio enthusiast, producers and musicians. Among other things, Splice also a great resource for samples, boasting 1 million samples from a plethora of sound providers. However, Splice is subscription based and there’s a fee of $8 per month.
The good thing is that the fee covers any amount of samples you download during that time. With 1 million samples available and most likely more by this time, you can image that there are plenty of genres to choose from.
There’s an application you have to download to your computer to be able to preview and download content. If you don’t want to buy in to the subscription service, you can still purchase samples individually directly from the Splice application without having to purchase an entire sound pack.
Vinyl Record Youtube Channels
There’s a healthy amount of Youtube channels that are based on obscure vinyl records that haven’t been overused or maybe even haven’t been used at all. I’m subscribed to quite a few and found these channels to be a source of inspiration whenever I have beat block.
I’ll list a few channels here for you to check out, but also remember that if you install Voicemeeter (PC users) or Loopback (Mac users), you’ll be able to sample right into Maschine immediately. I hope you all get lost in the fun of building your own unique sample libraries. Enjoy!
5 cool iOS apps to sample
Sampling iOS apps to Maschine is easy, just connect your iPhone/iPad to Maschine MK3 or another audio interface or just use USB cable if you use Mac (yes, it can transfer audio via USB as well).
Maschine as well as many iOS apps support Ableton Link – so you can easily play in sync.
Figure - Make Music & Beats
Figure - Make Music & Beats
Make music in seconds. Share, remix and collaborate with music makers all over the world.
• App Store Hall of Fame Inductee
• Multiple times App Store Editor's Choice/App of the Week in many countries
• App Store Best of 2012
“Anyone can craft killer beats with this superbly designed music maker.” - App Store Editor’s Notes
"Figure Music App Is Awesome, Easy to Use" – Wired
"Makes powerful electronic music-making technology accessible to all." – The Guardian
"Music-Making App Lets You Be The Artist" – NPR
Create an addictive beat before the next bus stop or lay down a beefy bass line while waiting in line at the bank. Share your creations on Allihoopa, the free music collaboration and sharing service, and see where other music makers will take your ideas. Figure will have anyone making music within seconds yet is deep enough for endless play on a transatlantic flight.
• Make songs with Drums, Bass and Lead Synth
• Play by sliding your finger across the play pad
• Always stay in key and on the beat
• Share your music on Allihoopa and let others remix or develop in Figure and other apps
• Make music with people all over the world
• Find music from the Allihoopa community to remix and develop
• No previous playing skills required
• Tweak and twist your track on the fly
• Sounding amazing has never been this easy
Allihoopa is the online home for social music making. Find beats or hooks that inspire you. Share your musical ideas and see where other music makers will take them.
Truly designed for mobile use, with collaboration in mind, Figure gives you drums, bass and lead synths. All controlled through an incredibly easy to use touch interface that gets you sounding great literally in seconds. Slide your finger across the play pad and hear your bass line play. Tweak the Rhythm, Range and Scale Step wheels to get the result you’re after. Programming drumbeats is just as easy. Set the rhythm and play the drums with your fingers. You won’t want to stop. You won’t believe how amazing you and your phone can sound.
If you are new to music making, getting started making great sounding tracks has never been this easy — and sounded so great!
If you are a seasoned musician – music creation has never been this fun!
The nitty gritty details:
• Play in different keys & modes. Set once or change on the fly.
• Use the arpeggiator to create melody lines from chords
• Increase the Shuffle to loosen up your beats
• Turn up Pump to add a club sound to your tracks
• Save, browse and load song files
• Set length of loop (1,2,4,8 bars)
• Export audio to iTunes File Sharing
• Share music on Allihoopa
• Bass & lead parts use Propellerhead Reason’s Thor synthesizer
• Drums powered by Reason’s Kong drum machine
• Audiobus support: Stream live audio directly to other Audiobus-compatible apps! See http://audiob.us for more information
• Background audio (in device Settings)
** Requirements: iPhone 4s, iPad 2 or higher. iOS 9 or higher.
** AudioCopy by Retronyms
by KORG INC.
The ultimate mobile instruments collection on your iPad, iPad Pro and iPhone. KORG Gadget - the all-in-one music production studio.
KORG Gadget has received numerous awards from around the world:
• Apple: "App Store Best of 2014" in Japan
• #1 in the Top Paid Music iPad App category*
• TECH AWARD 2015 "Best Music Production App"
• MusicTech's "Gear of the Year: Best App" Gold Award
• “Musikmesse international press award 2016” Mobile Music App
* USA, UK, Japan, Germany, France, Italy and much more!
KORG Gadget offers a collection of more than 30* different synthesizers and drum machines called “Gadgets.” These gadgets were designed to assist the user to produce powerful electronic music. The latest version features universal support not only for the iPad, but also for the iPad Pro and the iPhone. The painstaking attention that KORG has given its hardware instruments for more than fifty years has now taken shape as cutting-edge software in the Gadget. It's the ultimate all-in-one music production studio app.
* The total number of gadgets including in-app purchases etc.
• A collection of more than 30 Gadgets
Each Gadget available contains carefully constructed parameters to bring you the sounds you want. They’re ideal for producing all forms of electronic music. Even inexperienced musicians can enjoy the app as each synth offers a Scale function that makes it virtually impossible to play the wrong notes.
• Design tracks in portrait or landscape. Workflow for any music production task
The greatest feature of KORG Gadget is the user interface. It gives you an ideal music production workflow based mainly on the portrait orientation that you're familiar with. When you want to focus on specifics, you can smoothly switch to landscape orientation. This app perfectly supports either preference on the iPad, iPhone, or iPad Pro. From song production to sound design, effects, and mixing, all the steps are intuitive and seamless. Experience perfect music production on mobile!
• Produce music more freely without location limitations. An ideal choice as a second DAW
If you run out of ideas while producing a song, try taking KORG Gadget somewhere that you find inspirational. Gadget liberates you from limitations of location, allowing you to create and capture song ideas anywhere. These ideas can be saved as MIDI or as audio to allow a smooth transition to your desktop system. Wherever you go, take Gadget along as the ideal partner for inspiration.
• Share songs to the GadgetCloud to connect with users around the world
Songs that you create using KORG Gadget can be shared on “GadgetCloud,” a music exchange for Gadget users worldwide. By uploading and sharing songs, you can communicate in ways that bypass language barriers, and also improve your skill as a creative artist. On GadgetCloud, you can submit your songs for selection as tracks recommended by Korg, enter various contents, and use the ranking system. You can also upload from Gadget directly to any social networking service such as SoundCloud, Facebook, or Twitter, to name a few.
* GadgetCloud is based on SoundCloud, the cloud service that's supported by creative artists world-wide.
• Make it come alive with new MIDI controllers. Accelerate the pace of your music production
To customize your needs, you can freely choose a MIDI controller that complements the KORG Gadget. With the nanoKEY Studio/nanoKONTROL Studio, you can step-record and mix wirelessly as setup is automatic, making this easy and convenient. You can also opt to choose the microKEY Air, a compact mini-keyboard that can also connect wirelessly and via the Apple Lightning adapter. By partnering with a MIDI controller that inspires you, you can improve the quality of your music production.
More info at korg.com
Patterning : Drum Machine
by Olympia Noise Co.
Patterning : Drum Machine
App Store Best of 2015, Runner Up : App of the Year.
As beautiful as it is powerful, Patterning is a deep and flexible drum machine unlike any you’ve encountered before. With its elegant circular interface, Patterning transforms the iPad into a seriously inspiring tool for making beats.
Create dynamic drum patterns with the swipe of a finger. Make evolving, poly-metric rhythms, four-on-the-floor dance party jams, or laid back R&B grooves. Use Patterning’s independent loop settings to explore untapped rhythmic possibilities. Automate parameters to create intricate & complex beats. Arrange patterns on the timeline to construct songs. Use the built-in effects--delay, reverb, distortion, and 3-band EQ--to add atmosphere, shimmer and noise. Connect to other apps with Audiobus, Inter-App Audio, and MIDI. Export your beats to perfect audio loops or directly to an Ableton Live Set.
Patterning comes loaded with classic drum machine samples as well as exclusive drum kits created and curated by contemporary producers and musicians. For the independent producer, it’s easy to create custom kits with your own samples.
Supports Ableton Link, MIDI Clock Sync, and Inter-App Audio Sync.
With an extensive and uncommon feature set, Patterning redefines what an iOS drum machine can be.
“This is brilliant.” - Sebastian Dittman, Audiobus & Audanika
"Patterning is fantastic…. You will not be disappointed.” - Sean Garland, iOSMars.com
"The honest truth is this: Patterning really does live up to the hype.” - Doug Woods, thesoundtestroom.com
Patterning was created by Olympia Noise Co., makers of Chordion, App Store Editor’s Choice in 23 Countries.
Recommended for iPad 3 and newer.
For a complete list of specifications, please visit http://www.olympianoiseco.com/apps/patterning
GarageBand turns your iPad, and iPhone into a collection of Touch Instruments and a full-featured recording studio — so you can make music anywhere you go. And with Live Loops, it makes it easy for anyone to have fun creating music like a DJ. Use Multi-Touch gestures to play keyboards, guitars, and create beats that make you sound like a pro — even if you’ve never played a note before. Plug in a guitar or bass and play through classic amps and stompbox effects. Use a Touch Instrument, microphone, or a guitar and instantly record a performance with support for up of 32 tracks. Use the new Sound Library to download additional free instruments, loops and sound packs. Audio Unit Extensions in iOS 11 allow you to play, record and mix third-party instruments or effects right into GarageBand. And then share your song with friends and family.
Live Loops. Make music like a DJ
• Use Multi-Touch to tap and trigger a Live Loop cell or group of cells
• Get started with templates or build your own grid from scratch with Apple Loops
• Create custom loops by recording directly into a cell using any Touch Instrument
• Use Remix FX to perform DJ-style effects
• Tap record and to capture your performance
Play your iPad, and iPhone, like a musical instrument
• Play a variety of musical instruments on the innovative Multi-Touch keyboard
• Play and record using the Alchemy synth*
• Build grooves inspired by classic electronic drum machines with the Beat Sequencer
• Download free instruments, loops and sound packs for GarageBand with the Sound Library
• Capture any sound and apply studio-class effects
• Recreate legendary guitar or bass rigs using virtual amps & stompboxes
• Use 3D Touch to play keyboard sounds with polyphonic aftertouch**
• Record performances from third-party music apps directly into GarageBand using Audio Unit Extensions***
Drummer for iOS
• Add virtual session drummers to your song who take direction and play realistic grooves
• Choose from acoustic, electronic drummers and percussionists****
• Each character provides their own sound and the ability to create over a million realistic grooves and fills
Sound like a virtuoso with Smart Instruments
• Play an entire string orchestra using Smart Strings
• Perform with Chord Strips and autoplay using any keyboard instrument
• Groove with a variety of Smart Basses using upright, electric, and synth sounds
• Strum chords or trigger autoplay patterns on an acoustic and electric Smart Guitar
Create a song anywhere you go
• Record, arrange and mix your song with up to 32 tracks using Touch Instruments, audio recordings, and loops*****
• Record multiple times over any song section and choose your favorite using Multi-Take Recording
• Use professional mixing effects, including Visual EQ, Bitcrusher, and Overdrive
• Recording, mixing and exporting a song can be done at 24-bit audio resolution
• Trim and place musical regions exactly where you want them to play
• Automate the volume and record the movement of controls on Touch Instruments
• Add comments or lyric ideas to your song with an integrated notepad
Share your songs
• Keep your songs up to date across all devices using iCloud Drive
• Create custom ringtones and alerts for your iPad, iPhone, or iPod touch
• Share your songs using email or Facebook, YouTube, and SoundCloud******
• Remotely add new tracks to your Logic Pro X project from your iPhone or iPad via iCloud
* The Alchemy synth is available on iPhone 6 or later, iPad Pro, iPad (5th generation), iPad Air 2, and iPad mini 4.
** Polyphonic aftertouch is available on iPhone 6s or later.
*** Requires compatible third-party Audio Unit Extensions apps from the App Store.
**** Requires free download from GarageBand Sound Library.
***** Multitrack recording requires a compatible third-party audio interface.
****** Sharing to Facebook and YouTube requires iMovie.
by Chris Carlson
Borderlands Granular is a new musical instrument that enables people of all ages to touch, transform, and explore sound. Simply double tap to begin!
“The best app for exploring sound just got better... This is 'go out and buy an iPad to run it' good stuff.“ -Peter Kirn, Create Digital Music
“When I first saw the demo video for Borderlands Granular in 2012, my jaw hit the floor. My first thought was ‘THIS is what making music on an iPad should be.’”
Sean Garland, iOSMars.com
“Borderlands has floored us. It is very rare that we find an app that is not only fun to use, but extremely useful. It is truly inspiring. The interface is stunning, the sounds are so evocative: they're a film composer's dream.”
Paul Hepker and Mark Kilian, Film Composers (Tsotsi, Eye in the Sky)
“It’s beautiful, it’s absolutely great. It goes in a completely new direction."
Christian Fennesz, Experimental Musician. Interview from Tiny Mix Tapes, May 2014
2013 Prix Ars Electronica - Award of Distinction in Digital Music and Sound Art
2015 ZKM | Center for Art and Media App Art Awards - Special Prize for Sound Art
Borderlands Granular uses a technique called granular synthesis, which involves the superposition of tiny fragments of sound, or “grains," to create complex, evolving timbres and textures. The app is designed to be easy to use, emphasizing gestural interaction over knobs and sliders. Create, drag, and throw pulsing clouds of grains over a landscape of audio files, or use the built-in accelerometer to sculpt sound with gravity. Simply double tap to begin!
Borderlands comes ready to play with default sample content included, but you can also load and export your own sounds via Audiobus, Audioshare, and real time input from the mic or external audio interfaces. Re-sample recordings made within the app on-the-fly for layers-upon-layers of granulation.
You can also improvise alongside the app - touches and parameters may be recorded, looped, stored, and duplicated. Entire configurations of clouds, sounds, and automation can be saved into presets, or “scenes,” that may be recalled at a later time, allowing Borderlands to seamlessly transition between the studio and the stage.